A quality water filter is definitely one of the most valuable RV plumbing purchases that you will make. Clean water is vital for good health, and since good RV water filters are not expensive, they can make a massive difference in the quality, taste, and smell of your water both at home and during your travels.
Of course, you should usually filter all of the water coming into the holding tank of your RV, anyhow, since this is the best means of ensuring safe, clean, sediment and bacteria-free water. Since it is rare to find pure water at every destination, a sound water filtration system for your RV or camper will provide you with safe, sanitary, and tasty water wherever you may roam. In this review, we will present the top 10 best RV water filters on the market right now.
First, Let’s cover a little bit of basic information about RV water filters. There are two types of systems.
Whole Water Filtration Systems: These systems process all of the water that comes into your RV. Inline units that combine carbon filtration plus sediment removal are prevalent in many RV water filtration systems. Taste and odor removal are pretty good with these, although the ability to remove sediment may be somewhat limited. Although they are compact, their flow rate is limited, and they have a shorter life span. Still, they may be more than adequate for those who only use their RV’s for infrequent travel.
Standard Canister Systems: These water filtration systems for RVs are definitely the most versatile option, especially for those who are traveling full-time. This is because they typically have a much better water flow rate, and they will last longer. Also, you can configure and customize these systems to your own needs.
Understanding the jargon used when talking about filters will also help you make a confident and well-informed choice. So, before we look at our list of the best RV water filters, here are a few terms to familiarize yourself with:
- NSF class I, class II, class III: The National Sanitation Foundation uses these ratings to denote the efficiency of RV filters. For example, a Class I filter will remove chlorine from your water most efficiently. After class I, you have class II filters, which are not as good, then class III filters, and so on.
- Flow rate: Although you will need a filter for clean water in your RV, they, unfortunately, interfere with the flow. The amount of water (in gallons per minute) that your filter can handle is called the flow rate.
- Microns: Microns are measurements of the size of particles filters will remove
- Life expectancy: RV water filter cartridges will eventually become clogged.
- Life: The life of your filter indicates how much time you can reasonably expect it will last. Eventually, RV water filters get clogged and need to be replaced.
- Material: This indicates the material used to do the work of filtering the water.
The best RV water filters will generally share certain vital common qualities. The following are some of the top-rated, affordable, and most dependable RV water filters currently available.
Top 10 RV Water Filters and Kits
1. Watts POE12DSA1KDF Dual Exterior Water Filter Kit
The Flow-Pur ultimate exterior water filter kit from Watts Water Technologies improves the taste of your water as it reduces water contaminants. With this dual filter system, replacing new filter cartridges is a quick and straightforward process, too. So no matter where you travel, the Flow-Pur filter will come in handy and has been highly rated for taste by current users. Plus, a manufacturer’s warranty is available through Watts Water Technologies’ customer service department.
- Reduces water contaminations
- Creates safe drinking solutions on the go
- Quick and simple installation
- Warranty available
2. Culligan 1019084 RV Water Filter
The Culligan 1019084 RV Water Filter is a highly rated option that will allow you to enjoy clean, great-tasting water wherever the road takes you. It lasts around three months, or 250 gallons, and is super easy to use. You just hook up one end to your camper and the other end to your water supply. Made of heavy-duty plastic, it can also take a beating. Many RVers remark that the Culligan also is compatible with most standard replacement filters, so it’s easy to change out when you’re traveling.
- Features durable plastic housing
- Includes one introductory filtration cartridge
- Capacity: 250 gallons or three months
- Reduces chlorine taste and odor and sediment
3. Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector
The TastePURE filter by Camco is a huge favorite among campers and RVers. It features a T filter that’s effective up to 20-microns and does an excellent job of eliminating bad tastes, smells, sediment, and chlorine from your water when you are on the go. Additionally, the KDF carbon filtration prevents bacteria, fungus, and mold growth when your rig is sitting for any length of time.
The unit features a sturdy inline exterior mount filtration system with a wide body for increased flow rate, plus it has a flexible hose protector to reduce the strain on connections. You can attach the Camco TastePURE to any standard water hose for easy, quick access to safe and clean drinking water. The included large capacity inline filter lasts an average of 3 months.
- Removes the following: Heavy metals, aluminum, iron, lead, odor, bad tastes, cadmium, mercury, turbidity, and hydrogen sulfide.
- Features GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) filtration for better taste and smell
- Large capacity
- 20-micron filter
- Low lead certified
- Made in the USA
4. Kohree RV Marine Inline Water Filter
The Kohree RV Marine Inline Water Filter is perfect for meeting all your clean water needs, from bathing and washing to drinking. It features a durable plastic shell made from food-grade BPA-free materials to ensure no unwanted elements leach back into your water. Plus, thanks to the large capacity inline design, you’ll get a more streamlined and higher flow rate. In addition, advanced Granular Activated Carbon(GAC) and Kinetic Degradation Fluxion(KDF) technology provide highly efficient multiple-stage filtration.
One of the unique features of the Kohree is that it contains coconut shell carbon, which helps to ensure great taste and no odor, plus it filters out chlorine. Installation of the Kohree is easy; just attach it to your incoming water hose and your RV’s inlet hose. But, of course, you can also use it on any other standard hose, so it’s useful for the garden and boating as well.
- 1056 gallons capacity
- Fast water flow rate
- BPA free materials
- Reduces Chlorine Taste and Odor
5. PUREPLUS RV Inline Water Filter
The PUREPLUS inline filter is a top-rated RV water filter that claims to be 99 percent effective in reducing bad tastes, odors, and chlorine from your drinking and bathing water. It comes with several certifications, including Canadian CSA and BPA Free, Australian Water Mark, European REACH, ROHS, and TUV, and is also certified to filter out lead by the IAPMO. Additionally, The KDF is designed to reduce 90 percent of heavy metals, and the food-grade sponge reduces 99 percent of particles and sand in this filter.
Beyond all of its certifications, the PUREPLUS is put through a battery of tests like the water hammer test and the 400 PSI pressure test, along with six other independent tests. Also, the filter attaches quickly to any standard hose and can be used for your RV, boat, pets, garden, and anywhere else you want good, clean water.
- Stringent quality control
- Produced under ISO9001
- Over 20 years in the industry
- Life of three months or 1056 gallons
- Seven-stage filtration process
6. Aqua Crest RV Inline Water Filter with Hose Protector
Aqua Crest designed this water filter to be effective at eliminating foul odors, tastes, and chlorine so you can enjoy delicious filtered water during your travels. It is NSF 42-certified and uses advanced KDF and GAC technology like some of the more expensive RV water filters on our list. However, it comes at a surprisingly reasonable price.
In addition to being an excellent water filter for RV travel, the Aqua Crest gets rave reviews among gardeners who find it improves the growth and health of their plants. Durable and long-lasting, it’s effective for about three months, so you can likely get a whole camping season in before you need to swap it out.
- Reduces fluoride, heavy metals, sediment, and chlorine
- Attaches to any standard garden hose
- The line adapter is double-ended
- Suitable for farming, home-brewing, pets, gardening, RVing, boating, and more
7. Hydro Life 52141 HL-200 External Filter Kit
Hydro Life’sLife’s external water filtration system features an EPA-approved five-series granular activated carbon filter cartridge and is adaptable to permanent installation. This high-volume filter virtually eliminates chlorine and lead from your drinking water and is highly rated among current RV travelers.
After initial installation, the filter cartridge is easily replaced annually with a garden hose connection-compatible filter. In addition, the Hydro Life filter utilizes patented KDF media to prevent bacterial growth. Finally, a fine-mesh granular activated carbon (GAC) filter provides superior filtration of contaminants that can cause foul odor or taste—resulting in safer, cleaner, better-tasting drinking water.
- Exterior five series cartridge
- Fine mesh granular activated carbon
- KDF media
- Easy cartridge replacement
8. Culligan RV-EZ-3 EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System
The Culligan EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System features easy twist-on, twist-off installation, so it’s great for beginners or anyone who wants a hassle-free experience. In addition, the system includes a winterization kit, is NSF safety certified for drinking water, and is marine rated for maximum efficiency.
Everything you need for clean water on the road is included in this convenient kit. It contains an RC-EZ-3 Level three replacement filter cartridge, a filter head with built-in bracket, mounting screws, plastic tubing, bypass fitting for winterization, supply line adapter, and a lead-free faucet that also has a built-in cartridge life indicator. Plus, it comes with a reminder sticker and instructions. Safe and long-lasting, the EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System also comes with a manufacturer’s limited two-year warranty.
- Reduces odor, lead, cysts, sediment, atrazine, lindane, turbidity, sediment, and chlorine.
- Features easy fast-connect fittings
- Capacity of 500 gallons
- Winterization kit included
9. Firebelly Outfitters RV/Marine Inline Carbon Water Filter Starter Kit
This starter kit from Firebelly Outfitters is the perfect all-in-one solution for veteran campers and those who are new to the RV lifestyle. This filter comes with a no-kink hose protector and a water pressure regulator, so you won’t have to purchase them separately. Plus, it is a wide-capacity model to ensure maximum flow.
ISO Certified, the Firebelly water filter kit features KDF and GAC technology and is made to keep your drinking water free of chlorine, mold, heavy metals, mercury, and more. It has five filtration layers designed to filter out particles as small as 20 microns.
- Easy garden hose fittings
- High-quality GAC Filter
- Reduce odors and chlorine
- 50-55 PSI water regulator will protect your RV’sRV’s plumbing system
- The screen washer can be removed and cleaned as needed
10. RVGUARD Inline RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector
This premium inline RV water filter from RVGUARD is a favorite among RV enthusiasts. It’s an inexpensive RV water filter that is super convenient since it connects to most faucets or regular hoses with ease. No special tools are needed for installation.
The system features the standard GAC and KDF technology campers have come to expect, and it is also NSF 42-certified, so you know the materials are safe. The brand recommends that you replace the filters every three to six months to ensure peak performance.
- NSF 42 certification
- 20-micron GAC filter
- KDF technology
- Improved taste and reduced odor
- Helps clear rust
Camping supplies certainly need to be chosen with an eye for quality and dependability, but that doesn’t necessitate defaulting to the most expensive products on the market. RV water filters, just like other RV supplies, can be found in a very high quality even with a lower price tag.
When making a final decision on your water filter of choice, just make a point to choose one that strikes a satisfactory balance between affordability and legitimate quality at the same time. As the above products clearly illustrate, an RV water filter can be one of the best purchases that you make in terms of the value it provides in proportion to its price.
- Top 10 Best Drinking Water Hoses
- Top 10 Best RV Shower Heads
- Top 10 Best RV Water Hose Pressure Regulators
- Top 10 Best RV Water Hoses
Updated July 2021